Join me for 3 days of hiking & hammock camping on a backpacking trip in Tennessee’s Big South Fork Nat’l Rec Area.
For this backpacking adventure, I’ll be breaking the hiking trip into two parts. BSF Part 1 is mostly in the woods and at camp and is more of a hanging in the woods, conversational type video. Part 2 covers days 2 and 3 where I traverse into the higher regions of Big South Fork, hitting the ridges for views of the Cumberland Plateau’s sandstone bluffs and Big South Fork River.
For more details on the first day of this trip, check out my Big South Fork Pt 1 blog post and video.
GPS Data for this trip is available on the Trip Data Page, or via this link for direct download: Big South Fork Backpacking Loop 2017 GPS Data – Sintax77
Big South Fork John Muir John Litton Backpacking Loop Route Overview – Sintax77
Trailhead and Parking Location
Bandy Creek Visitor Center, 151 Stable Rd, Oneida, TN 37841
N36° 29.275′ W84° 41.837′
Topics discussed and things that happen in this episode
Trails Used Day 2
- Break camp along the Laurel Fork Creek Trail
- Continue north on the Laurel Creek Fork Trail
- Make a left (east) onto the John Muir Trail (the next 2 miles will cover the bulk of the elevation gain for the day)
- Make a right (west) onto the Fall Branch Trail
- Setup camp along the Laurel Fork Creek Trail (less than a 100 meters after crossing the creek / bridge. There is a campsite immediately next to the creek as well)
Day 2 Total Mileage: 15.2 miles
Day 2 Gross Elevation Gain: 1,616 feet
Day 2 Gross Elevation Loss: 1,266 feet
Big South Fork Day 2 Elevation Profile – Sintax77
Trails Used Day 3
- Break camp along Fall Branch Trail
- Continue south on the Fall Branch Trail
- Make a Right (north) onto the John Litton Farm Hike Loop Trail (heading south will ultimately bring you back to the parking lot as well).
- Continue south onto the road (gravel, then paved) until you arrive back at the Bandy Creek Visitor Center Parking Lot.
Day 3 Total Mileage: 6.1 miles
Day 3 Gross Elevation Gain: 600 feet
Day 3 Gross Elevation Loss: 313 feet
Big South Fork Day 3 Elevation Profile – Sintax77
Trip Grand Totals
Total Mileage for Trip: 28.4 miles
Total Elevation Gain for Trip: 3,076 feet
The gear list used for this trip along with discussion on each item can be found in my accompanying 2017 Ultralight Backpacking Gear List Blog Post and Video.