Tips, Gear & our Experiences with getting a puppy / Dog into Backpacking, Hiking & Camping.
- Dog training for trips, daily walks as a puppy etc.
- Age to start hiking with a dog?
- Trip planning and strategies your dog’s first backpacking trip.
- Differences in trail selection, water sources, etc.
- Hiking dog food – nutrition, packing options, need for increased consumption.
- Usage of dog backpacks for hiking.
- Sleeping arrangements, leashes and leads for around camp and on the trail.
- Some discussion on each of our dog’s camping trips so far.
- Items that we bring for our dog camping trips (see below)
Dog Backpacking Gear / Items Seen
- OutdoorMaster Bungee Dog Leash
- One Tigris Dog Pack – Canvas Dog Backpack
- Fleece Dog Jacket
- Dog-Gone Dish – Collapsible Travel Pet Dish
- Trail Buddy Treats – Freeze Dried Dog Treats for Hiking
- Coghlan Bear Bell
- Nite Ize Nite Dawg LED Dog Collar Cover
- Kevlar 2.2 Tree Straps from Dutchware Gear, used as an ultralight dog leash / lead around camp.
- Weight rated / climbing grade carabiner (don’t trust your dog with the cheap key chain grade ones).
- 2T’s Hammock Chair with Dutchware Whoopie Hook system – used as a mini dog hammock.