Tips, tricks and discussion on various Backpacking, Hiking & Camping topics.
Topics Discussed / Gear Seen
- Drip Lines for hammock camping.
- Olight S1 Mini Baton 600 Lumen LED Flashlight
- My two upcoming solo winter backpacking trips.
- HangTime Hook upgrades
- Dutchware Gear Winter Vented Sock with Zipper
- Outdoor Vitals MummyPod Hammock Insulation Sleep System
- Using the MummyPod on my upcoming winter White Mountains trip to try and sleep one night on the ground using a bivy sack in sleeping bag config, and one night in a hammock in a pea-pod setup.
- Chameleon Sidecar Accessory for the Dutchware Gear Chameleon Hammock System
- Carol Update
- Sleeping Pads for Winter Camping? (I double up two summer ones)
- Big Agnes Q-Core SL Sleeping Pad (inflatable) I used it on the ground at -25F by itself. …not a great idea. I had a pretty cold butt, but I lived 🙂
- Therm-A-Rest Z-Lite Sleeping Pad (foam) I’ll be stacking this with the Q-Core on my upcoming New Hampshire winter trip.
- How to get started with your first overnight backpacking / camping trip.
- “Mickey Mouse Boots” – military surplus boots for extreme cold weather and snow.
- Bushcraft is cool, but like many niche hobbies, it can cultivate some arrogant attitudes. Emphasis on some, but it’s out there. And no, I’m not even necessarily talking about Joshua’s comment. His was relatively mild but a good segue for discussion.
- Fires starting / campfires on camping trips.
- Survival skills (great to have) vs just having fun in the woods (great to have as well).
- Winter sled camping is a ton of fun.