A review of the Etekcity Water Filter for backpacking, camping, or urban survival.
The Etekcity Personal Water Purifier is a complete system containing all the components needed to start filtering clean drinking water. A small backflushing syringe is included as well for periodic maintenance of the water filter. In this video I’ll go over the specifications, operation, and maintenance routine for the filter.
It has a three stage filtration system (pre-filter, activated carbon filter, and hollow fiber UF membrane) making it worth a look for anyone in the market for an inexpensive urban survival filter to keep on hand or tucked in their bug out bag. For traditional backpackers and campers, such as myself, it’s small size and light weight make it an interesting option for part of an ultralight backpacking load-out.
As seen in the video, it can be used by attaching to the included dirty water bag and squeezed into the water storage option of your choice, or you drink directly out of the water source. This ccan be achieved by either dipping the end of the filter directly into the water, or by using the included length of 1/4″ tubing to get a bit for reach. Speaking of the tubing though, it should be pointed out that the filter only has a 1/4″ nipple on the dirty water side. There isn’t a hookup on the clean side, so if you’re looking to use this filter in a gravity filter configuration, that’s something to keep in mind.
I also found that the threads match up great with Smart Water bottles, so they can be used as a dirty water reservoir as well. If you’re using other brands, make sure to check the threads for match before heading out, as the other brand of water bottle I tested it with did not properly screw onto the filter body.
One thing that remains to be seen is how often the filter needs to be backflushed after continued use out in the field. This is the main reason I switched from the Sawyer Mini back to the original Sawyer Squeeze. Only time will tell if the Etekcity filter will suffer the same fate, but the flow rates during initial testing have been quite nice, and sucking water through it while using it like a straw was very easy.
Features and Specs, as per the manufacturer:
- SAFETY TESTED: This water purifier has been tasted by the TÜV SÜD Institute and the sleeve of the water filter complies with FDA Food Contact test in accordance with 21 CFR 180.22 to ensure maximum quality and safety.
- HOLLOW FIBER UF MEMBRANE and antibacterial carbon filter cleans to 0.01 Microns, eliminating 99.9999% of colibacillus, legionella, heavy metal ions, chlorine, volatile organic compounds (VOC), organic and insect contaminant.
- FILTER MORE: This filter will provide up to 1500 liters or almost 400 gallons of safe drinking water.
- HYDRATION RESERVOIR COMPATIBLE: attach the Etekcity Personal Water Purifier to most hydration reservoirs for increased water carrying capacity and convenience.
- INCLUDED ACCESSORIES: A foldable water pouch, extension tube, pre-filter, and backwash device are all included at no extra cost. Carry water with you, reach further to get water without strain or danger, get extra filtration, and keep the filter clean and clog-free.