A Review of the Olight H16 Wave USB Rechargeable LED Headlamp for Backpacking & Camping.
This is my current headlamp for camping trips requiring more critical lighting needs. Trips with higher demands on run-time and / or brightness. A perfect example of this would be my recent sub-zero winter camping trip that I took the Olight H16 Wave on. The higher powered rechargeable battery pack gave me extra confidence in my run-times during the less than battery-friendly frigid temps.
This is also a light that I would grab for any camping or backpacking trip where night hiking was expected and / or when extended time doing chores at camp after dark is anticipated.
The 5 lumen low mode provides a surprising amount of functionality, along with a huge 160 hour run-time. For high visibility needs, the 500 lumen high mode provides longer distance spotting capability, while still being able to run for around 2 hours continuously.
Links for full Manufacturer’s Specs, Features, etc
- Official Olight Store Webpage for the H16 Wave
- Olight H16 Wave on Amazon
- Disclosure: Item seen was received for evaluation & testing. A commission is received for purchases through the above links. Your support is appreciated and makes the backpacking trip videos on this channel possible. Be smart, make your own informed decisions.
Specs and Features, as per Manufacturer
- General Data
- Beam Distance (ft) 328
- Beam Distance (m) 100
- Max. Performance (lumens) 500
- Charge type Micro-USB
- Compatible Batteries Customized Li-Ion Battery
- Light Intensity (candela) 2500
- Light Form: Far-range focused beam and close-range wide flood combined.
- Lens / Reflector Type: TIR bead lens (converged and wide beam)
- Series: Series H (Headlamps, Multitasking)
- Notable Characteristics
- Hand wave operation – This motion sense setting saves users the trouble of reaching for the power switch in the dark, and keeps the headlamp clean from dirty hands.
- Wide area illumination – Dual LED light head paired with a custom lens delivering great close-range illumination combining both a wide and focused beam.
- Smart power level indication – Four-level blue LED battery indicator and low-power audible beep warning at 10% charge to keep you updated on your power status.
- Beam angle adjustment – The light head has three adjustable levels from 0~45 degrees.
- Reflective head strap – reflective stripes on both sides of the head strap to improve visibility and safety for the user.
- Lighting Levels & Run Times
- High – 500 lumens, (steps down to 350 lumen after 5mins), 120 minutes
- Medium – 100 lumens, 9.5 hours
- Low – 5 lumens, 30 160 hours
- Technical Characteristics
- Waterproof IPX4
- Weight (g / oz) 115 grams / 4.06 oz
- Length (mm / in) 58 / 2.28
- Head Diameter (mm / in) 24 / 0.94
- Body Diameter (mm / in) 38 / 1.50
- LED: 2 x Cree XP-G3
- Package Contents
- Olight H16 flashlight x 1
- 2000mAh 3.7V Lithium Polymer Battery(built-in) x 1
- USB-microUSB rechargeable cable x 1
- headband x 1
- Replacement Cable Clip x 2
- user manual x 1